How did Radcliff get its start?
The area known today as the city of Radcliff was once known as the Mill Creek area of Kentucky, shown by the first map of Kentucky published by John Filson in 1784. Throughout the next century or two, Radcliff saw the likes of Daniel Boone, Abraham Lincoln, Jesse James and World War II soldiers pass through its lands. It was named after Major William Radcliffe, head of the Quartermaster Corps at Camp Henry Knox (known today as Fort Knox) in 1919.
Take a peek over 200 years back to see how Radcliff came to be.
1780 – The first land surveys are made of Mill Creek area by Jacob Meyers. Land grants are signed by Patrick Henry, the Governor of Virginia
1782 – Mill Creek Baptist Church is founded in 1782 as a community meeting house and served by circuit riding ministers of both the Methodist and Baptist. The present congregation, active for over 225 years, worships today in a modern edifice on South Jones Street in Radcliff.
1807 – Thomas Lincoln, father of the 16th President, purchases his first farm on Mill Creek in 1807, two years before the birth of Abraham Lincoln.
1814 – Radcliff’s oldest standing structure, the Haycraft Inn, is constructed by Lewis Coleman. Daniel K. Haycraft operates the inn during the days of stagecoach transportation.
1825 – Construction begins on the Louisville-Nashville Turnpike, one of America’s first hard surface roads, now part of the Dixie Highway – US 31W route running through Radcliff. A portion of the original road at Fort Knox is still preserved and can be hiked or toured.
Mid-1800s – Local lore has it that outlaws Frank and Jesse James spend a night in the barn of John Finley Hobbs, known locally as the “Jesse James Barn”
1862-1863 – With the outbreak out of the Civil War, Union, Confederate, and guerilla armies are active in the Radcliff area.The Union forces construct Fort Duffield, overlooking West Point and the Ohio River, on what is now Fort Knox
1919 – Radcliff gets its name. Horace McCullum subdivides lots and sells them at auction to the highest bidder. McCullum names the new community after his friend Major William Radcliffe, head of the Quartermaster Corps at the newly established Camp Henry Knox
1932 – A rapidly expanding Fort Knox absorbed the small town of New Stithton, which sent most businesses and residents into Radcliff. Population at the time numbered 238
1942 – Large USO building constructed by US Government along 31W, where thousands of soldiers spend their leisure time during World War II
1956 – City of Radcliff is officially incorporated as a Sixth Class City, population 800. Fire department, police force, town marshal, and post office services were initiated.
1964 – A three day celebration, called Jubilation Days, is held in honor of the expansion of the Dixie Highway into a four-lane road through Radcliff
1983 – “We’re Proud to Call it Home,” composed and sung by Randy Davidson, becomes the official song of Radcliff
1990 – The U.S. Census Bureau tallies a population of over 21,000, surpassing Elizabethtown as the largest city in Hardin County for a brief time
2000 – Radcliff continues growth due to transient military population traveling in and out of Fort Knox
2017 – Radcliff, population 22,490, is ranked eighth safest city in Kentucky, while Elizabethtown comes in at eleventh